Yesterday and today I have been working on the trigger mechanism housing for the M72 rocket launcher.
I started off by heating the plastic on my home-built vacuum former heater, which was very effective except for the outside 10cm of the plastic which was frustrating as this was exactly where the edge of my mould sat at both sides! If I had been switched on instead of enjoying the exotic fumes produced in my under-ventilated workshop I would have moved the mould so that it sat diagonally rather than straight but what’s done is done!
After a few false starts I got the plastic soft enough to work and formed the rough shape. However either the seal wasn’t good enough, the suction too weak or the mould not being well ventilated enough to pull in the plastic onto the details.
As a result I spent this afternoon with a heat gun and a short plank pushing the plastic onto the form.
Looking a bit tidier now though I say so myself!
In future I’m seriously considering just building this part from fibreglass like the original, I doubt it would take as long and it can’t be more unpleasant fumes-wise!
*DISCLAIMER* Don’t try this at home, parts of this build are not good for your health and come with a fire risk built in.