As this build seems to be coming to a close, it’s time to get the detailing right. In the fore-stock, there are two springs that keep the bands in position. These are laser cut to rough shape, then I used the grinder to mill in details such as the recesses the bands sit in. On the back of the piece is a smooth recess which combined with the correct tempering allows it to act like a spring.
The front band viewed from the front. There is, annoyingly, a space between the barrel and the bayonet lug that needs fixing, but I am pleased with the difficult shape of the band itself.
There are a few bits of etching on this gun, something I haven’t done before. I’m using a dremmel style tool with fine etching bits. To cut accurately I made templates in Qcad and glued them to the material with PVA. (This is a practice piece).
Once dry, I could get to work removing the black areas.
Then soak the part in warm water and detergent to remove the template.
A bit of practice later and the templates are ready to be attached to the rifle itself.
First pass with the dremmel has give a good outline! Hopefully a second pass will get it a little deeper.
Not too much more to do now! Looking forward to getting this one finished, it should be a very pretty rifle by the end of it!