Through all this section I am working in the background on the furniture, staining and varnishing it for use. This is literally watching paint try so I will just give you an intermediate shot of the process rather than bore you with a step-by-step!
There aren’t any good photos of the bipod in progress, each fold was handmade in the vise with a few different hammers and other tools until each was at the right angle. For a production version, these will probably be made with a press if I find a supplier who can do this.
And folded away! This should really look the part when painted up and the furniture is in place.
Next, shaping the grips. I used polymorph plastic coloured with acrylic paint as a base colour. These are just a rough first pass, they will be re-shaped with a heat gun to get a smoother finish.
After a bit of work with the heat gun and some tools, the finish is now quite smooth, providing a good base for etching in the chequering.
I oil backed the rear sight for a really wear-resistant finish. As with previous versions, this adjusts just like the original.
On the lathe, I turned the muzzle brake in plastic. When this is finished I shall produce a mould to cast more from as it is quite a complex piece.
I made a mould and took a casting from it. This has been painted up to look like metal!
And this slots onto the gun! Oh yes, I have now oil finished the foresight unit and bipod, which should resist the wear and tear that will inevitably affect these parts better than paint.
Pretty much all there at last! Just a few last details to finish off…
Completed pictures to follow.
If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles.
You can also buy many of our finished products in our Etsy store.