At the end of the last post, the SMLE looked like this:
The next steps were to permanently attach the buttstock and fit the top handguard.
I cut the recess in the top guard to fit around the action and the barrel.
I then cut space for the middle band. Once fitted this gave a rough idea of the sizes the furniture would need to be trimmed down to.
In place, it all looks a bit square. Time to put it on the shave horse and put it to the drawknife.
A bit of working later, the stock parts are rounded off and level.
There is a slight bulge above the action as it is thicker much further down the rifle than on the real thing, but is isn’t too obvious. Once the rear sight is in place it should break up this bulge and make it almost imperceptible.
For future models I may do a Top Dead Centre (TDC) modification, which will allow me to make the action a little shorter and reduce the bulge as with this mod there is no longer a large sliding part needing space at the front.
I shall be making the rear sight from steel, laser cut. This will be easier than modifying an original as it has to fit around the spring receiver. It will however take an original sight leaf.
At long last, the parts arrived! Welded together and smoothed out, next step is to attach the sight leaf.
This will take an original Enfield sight or a copy I’m making. It will be oil finished for maximum wear resistance.
Don’t forget to join Vintage Airsoft on Facebook to keep up to date with the latest build photos, history and classic firearms.