The last SMLE build post was a view of the rear sight on its own. It is now mounted on the rifle, awaiting the rear sight leaf.
The foresight unit for this is experimental, 3D printed in ABS. This design isn’t perfect but it’s not a bad start!
The ridge on the back was accidental, I considered cutting a recess for this to fit, but decided against it. I cut this off and filed it flat.
A view of the back of the foresight, which has slumped a bit in printing. The next version will hopefully be more square.
I cut a flat section at the end to take the nose cap insert. The back of the insert doesn’t reach the back of the nose cap, so there is a piece at the back cut to a curve to fit this part into. The hole drilled through is for the vertical bolt that secures the nose cap.
In future versions I hope to have wood going further forward into the cap itself, with the transverse nose cap screw going through it. This system is still pretty strong though as it still has a substantial bit of walnut at the front.
In place, the eagle-eyed among you may notice that the top guard is different to the last picture of it. I’m making a new top guard that is a bit chunkier and rugged than the original for durability.
There’s still a good bit of material to remove, but this will just be a couple of hours’ work.
Then some alterations to the rear sight before sanding, oiling and finishing up!
If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles.
Don’t forget you can buy our complete products via Etsy.