Since the last post, I have welded the rear sight unit and fitted the buttplate into place.
With the buttplate screwed down, I can do the last bits of shaping on the stock. I always leave a bit of excess to make this fit as close as possible.
I also took the opportunity to fit the action lock. In the original this stops the receiver from tipping forward on the hinge under the magazine well. As the receiver is screwed into the stock on this it is merely there for the aesthetic.
The rear sight is permanently affixed. For an SMG adjustable sights are generally overkill.
This side picture shows how much further back the trigger is compared to the Sten original.
I then applied finish to the majority of the parts. I am using hardwax oil for the wood as it picks up a patina nicely and looks the part for these period weapons.
The metalwork is sprayed black enamel on the whole.
The smaller parts have been oil blacked where possible as this is more wear resistant.
The trigger contacts gave up the ghost as they do tend to, so I have replaced this with a switch and advised a mosfet.
With the mosfet in place, I re-assembled everything and ran my tests. Pictures of the finished item to follow!
If you like this build, you may like to take a look at where it came from, the MP18 and its extended family.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog or join us on Facebook for more! You can buy some of our ready-made products on Etsy. You can also email to enquire about custom or special builds on firstname.lastname@example.org.