The first job for this part of the build was to modify my receiver design to fit the gearbox with comfortable space around it.
Effectively I added a slither of extra space down the middle to add width.
Once printed, it all fits quite nicely. The slide moves freely, needing only a slight tweak to put it in place.
While there isn’t a function to the action opening, it’s one of those things that is nice to have.
I decided at this stage to get the stock parts recut to improve the shape slightly.
The action now fits deeper inside the stock and the receiver needs fitting into the woodwork rather than sitting on top.
I routed out the top so that the receiver fitted snugly in. As before it hooks onto the back and screws down at the front.
I routed out the top guard to fit the barrel and marked out cut lines.
I marked out some of the shape for the top guard at the same time.
Fitting the front cap provided by the client, the top guard is partly secured in place here and will be at the back as well.
Even at this stage the stock is developing a pattern quite pleasingly similar to the original!
I welded up a buttplate, the battery compartment needs still more work to fit an original alas.
With some careful design, the first version of the trigger guard and magwell just slots straight into the stock. Two screws in the front will hold it in place along with two lugs at the back.
The build is now starting to look distinctly G43-ish.
The magazine is a snug fit, but the catch engages nicely.
A little test piece to see what the varnish/stain will do to the woodwork.
Much of the rest of the work on this is painting and finishing work with just a few details to add.
If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles.
Don’t forget you can buy our complete products via Etsy.