Enfield No.5 Mk 1 Build: Part 1

Cold War, Lee-Enfield, No. 5 Enfield, Rifles, Weapons, WWII

The buttstock I am using for the No.5 is a damaged SMLE stock, as a result I don’t feel guilty about the chopping I’ll be doing to it!

I make the rear band unit in the same way as in all the other Enfield builds: ERW beaten to shape and welded to the trigger guard.

_DSF9810
 

The No.5 trigger guard/magwell housing is slightly different to the other Enfields, being thinner and lighter. This makes it an even more awkward shape to cut out!

 

_DSF9811
 

The VSR gets its special parts added. The standard Vintage Airsoft quick-load VSR magazine well and the Enfield trigger that takes the trigger back into the correct location. I’ll also be using the TDC mod for this rifle of course, along with the Enfield bolt mod.

 

22496956_10155993089243623_536568108_o

In place in the roughed out stock, the gun already starts to take shape.

22555839_10212957125275633_589420679_o

I smooth out the shape and improve it a little. I still have to finish the back end where the receiver fits and around the rear band.

_DSC7308

At the front I need to create space around the outer barrel as it is free floating on the original. The top guard also needs rounding off at the front.

_DSC7309

Working on the receiver now, no standard typeface is quite right for the markings. I find some clear images to work from and create a file I can work from and tidy up in Qcad.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 18.13.21

Once the basics of the typeface have been finished up, I transfer them onto the side of the receiver to be 3D printed.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 20.20.00

I got the muzzle brake/foresight unit 3D printed. As well as looking the part it also holds the inner barrel centred nicely. It’s held in place with two screws that lock it in place through grooves in the top of the barrel.

_DSC7320

The outer barrel is secured in the ‘traditional’ way for my VSR builds.

_DSC7322

I’ll have to spin up the barrel on the lathe to clean it and get a consistent polish, then I can oil finish it which will be nice and wear-resistant.

_DSC7324

Polished up and oil finished, the only problem is the muzzle brake doesn’t look as good now! You will also notice that the inner barrel has been cut down and re-crowned on the lathe by this point.

_DSC7372

At the back end, I start the modifications to the butt.

_DSC7386

The buttpad and cage have been 3D printed and are fitted by hand to the wood.

_DSC7387

I’m fairly pleased with the standard of the fit. The buttpad cage is a little more fragile than I would ideally like so some tinkering may be needed.

_DSC7388

I carved out the recess needed for the sling loop in the buttstock. 

_DSC7429

The assembly so far. The receiver needs fitting, plus there are some finishing bits to do. Inevitably there will be a bunch more things that I can’t think of right now. I am very excited to finish this build and get her in the field!

_DSC7426
 

 

If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on enquiries.vintageairsoft@gmail.com to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles. 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.