First casting attempt

Tools, Weapons

OK, for those who have followed Vintage Airsoft for a VERY long time you will remember a couple of years back I built a kiln to try making some cast aluminium parts.

 

I have been trying to get my new version ready for use recently and have at last had my first casting session with it today. As many of you will know, I cast a lot of products from silicone moulds. I used one of these to make a wax copy of a 3D printed bolt. 

 

To this I added vents and a pouring spot. I made a bunch of these ready to do a batch of pours.

_DSF9301

These are contained within plaster moulds.

In these went into my mini oven for several hours. This has two purposes: 1. It melts the wax out of the plaster. 2. It dries out the plaster, forcing the moisture out of it. If there is any moisture left inside this can turn into steam instantaneously and crack the mould, possibly even a small explosion.

_DSF9304

As the last half hour came up I started melting the aluminium. 

_DSF9306

And then poured it into the moulds.

_DSF9308

And left it to cool…

_DSF9310

Once they cooled down, I broke them out of the moulds. 

_DSF9314

And the rest. These aren’t up to scratch for use but I am quite happy with them for a first attempt.

_DSF9315

In order to make more useful castings I think I will need to make more vents and pour the metal at a hotter temperature. I may experiment with some other casting materials and investments.

Advertisements