It has been a while since I have written anything on the MG08/15 build as I have been slowly working on several small parts that in their own rights don’t make for a very interesting article!
The first of these to be completed is the motor plate. This unit houses the motor and the custom hop unit that I have made especially for this build. The original hop unit would only feed from the bottom left, entirely unsuitable of course for a gun that feeds from the top right!
Motor plate with gearbox, hop and barrel.
So I designed a unit that would feed from the top, this has a feed tube that runs to the feed tray where the ammunition enters the gun.
Close-up of hop unit. The screw sets the hop, the feed tube sits just behind this.
The next part to be finished is the trigger. The trigger block sits just above the pistol grip and is secured by one M4 screw at the back. This screw is set into the grip, meaning that it doesn’t intrude on the use or look of the gun but the trigger block can be removed with relative ease. It also means that I can weld the pistol grip into place, meaning that this potential weak spot will be pretty solid!
Trigger unit and pistol grip out of situ.
Trigger housing and safety slot. The safety engages with the second sear.
Also, the wiring has been completed. Having run a test everything works fine, though I will be finding a stronger spring to reset the second sear to make trigger response sharper.
Where the magic happens…
The next step is to assemble the rest of the outer shell and add the detailing. Then we can run a functionality test.
If this post has piqued your interest at all and you would like something similar of your own, do just let us know! Drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org.
So far I have built the main body of the MG08/15 (see here). The next step was to build the plate that supports the gearbox unit and hop. This bit isn’t pretty but it will be functional!
Top view, plate installed inside shell.
Two bolts secure the plate fore and aft. At present I have left the heads on for ease of dismantling but these will be filed down for finishing so as to be more discrete.
Side view, plate installed. The green line shows the level of the motor plate.
I also installed the top cover, a piece of 2mm sheet formed to the shape of the top. This is hinged at the front, I’ll have to create a catch at the back to hold it in place.
The hop is a custom-designed one in order to fit the space and feed from a place that is suitable for the magazine (the top as it happens).
Space between motor plate and the bottom of the shell.
In this space the trigger mechanism will be going! That is the next stage….
The tricky part of designing the trigger mechanism for this was getting the safety switch to operate the correct way around. A reasonable bit of re-jigging was required but I got there eventually! Again, the components will be laser cut.
As ever, if this post has inspired you at all for your own project or custom build let me know! Drop us a line to discuss it on: email@example.com