The first major hurdle for me was that my Sten was missing the massive chunk of aluminium that houses the barrel and hop up unit. I measured up one from another gun and created a 3D model to be printed. I added a section to the front for the flash hider which is a separate piece. Running through this and the other part is some 16mm steel tube for strength.
The stock is made from pieces of laser cut steel. For the very sharp bends I made cuts with the angle grinder, made the folds and welded them up.
The locking bar is kept in place with two screws. These ride in slots that stop it from travelling too far back or forwards.
The pistol grip slotted into place, welded on the bottom which was then ground flat to allow the stock to pivot. The trigger guard is huge, the bend was made with wooden formers and the shape was checked against my paper template.
A close-up of the locking system. This is a pretty solid system, with only the wobble you would expect from a typical Sten stock.
Once the stock unit was welded onto the backplate, this really started to take shape. Shown below with the stock stowed.
And the stock deployed. So far it’s more comfortable than it looks, the next step is to make the wooden grips.
These are made from some leftover walnut I had sitting around. I printed a paper template, cut them out and drilled the screw holes. Then fine fitting and shaping was done with files and the electric hand sander.
Then it was time to strip everything and finish her up.
The grips got a quick soaking with some dark red woodstain, followed by hardwax oil.
All that’s left now is reassembly, fitting a foresight and doing some internal work on the Sten. I’ve swapped the barrel out already for a shorter one but the trigger needs some TLC.
You can see the complete item here.
If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on email@example.com to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles.