G43 AEG Build 2: Part 2

Battle Rifles, G43 MkII, G43/K43, Weapons, WWII

The first job for this part of the build was to modify my receiver design to fit the gearbox with comfortable space around it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 00.32.57

Effectively I added a slither of extra space down the middle to add width.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 00.33.05

Once printed, it all fits quite nicely. The slide moves freely, needing only a slight tweak to put it in place.

_DSF9817

While there isn’t a function to the action opening, it’s one of those things that is nice to have.

_DSF9816

I decided at this stage to get the stock parts recut to improve the shape slightly.

22712793_10213000894729842_2029052712_o

 

The action now fits deeper inside  the stock and the receiver needs fitting into the woodwork rather than sitting on top.

22766334_10213000892009774_536645344_o

I routed out the top so that the receiver fitted snugly in. As before it hooks onto the back and screws down at the front.

_DSC7307

I routed out the top guard to fit the barrel and marked out cut lines.

_DSC7311

I marked out some of the shape for the top guard at the same time.

_DSC7314

Fitting the front cap provided by the client, the top guard is partly secured in place here and will be at the back as well.

_DSC7312
With this in place, I can rough shape the stock itself. The top and bottom are rounded off for comfort as far back as possible.

_DSC7317

Even at this stage the stock is developing a pattern quite pleasingly similar to the original!

_DSC7318

I welded up a buttplate, the battery compartment needs still more work to fit an original alas.

_DSC7319

With some careful design, the first version of the trigger guard and magwell just slots straight into the stock. Two screws in the front will hold it in place along with two lugs at the back.

_DSC7327

The build is now starting to look distinctly G43-ish.

_DSC7329

The magazine is a snug fit, but the catch engages nicely.

_DSC7331

A little test piece to see what the varnish/stain will do to the woodwork.

_DSC7338

Much of the rest of the work on this is painting and finishing work with just a few details to add.

 

If you are interested in this project or have an idea of your own, drop us a line on enquiries.vintageairsoft@gmail.com to discuss. ‘Like’ our Facebook page or follow the blog to get regular updates on projects and interesting videos and articles. 

Don’t forget you can buy our complete products via Etsy.

Advertisements

G43 AEG Build 2: Part 1

Battle Rifles, G43 MkII, G43/K43, Weapons, WWII

The aim of this build is twofold. In the previous G43 build it was a conversion from a wood-stocked M14. There were two problems with this:

  1. The M14 stock isn’t quite the right shape
  2. Wood-stocked M14s have become almost completely impossible to find

So as the G43 is one of my most asked-for builds I have finally come up with a solution. Making a stock from scratch is the simplest way to go, this one has taken a bit of time to get right but I now have a design I’m confident of.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 23.14.34

Laser cut from ply, the parts are stuck together one layer at a time.

_DSF9293

Checking the fit, the ‘lightly’ modified M14 action slots in. At this stage my main concern was the motor space as it is snug by necessity for strength.

_DSF9332

Out of the second side, I have to cut a section to fit part of the M14 receiver. This is chiselled out and is invisible from the outside of the rifle.

_1010019

In situ, the only part out of place here is the rear-wiring, which would normally live inside the stock. However it needs re-soldering on the motor here and doesn’t go in easily as such. This will be solved easily enough though.

_1010020

The second side glued and clamped in place. I’ve put the battery transfer wire through from the battery compartment (in the buttstock) through to the motor housing. 

_1010022

The action fits in snugly, and I fit the repro front cap provided by the client.

22015636_10155935933208623_1262394515_o
Although the donor action looks weirdly bent, that is the shape of an M14 once you strip the receiver bits off. The nozzle goes up into the feed ramp at an angle. It’s weird, but it works.

22050766_10155935933123623_1511603968_o

 

The next step is to create the faux receiver. I designed it for 3D printing. It may need a little tweaking to fit around the gearbox.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 23.14.20

G43_parts_2017-Jul-26_09-29-28PM-000_CustomizedView29517140883

My initial design will need a little tweaking to fit around the gearbox mounting but the majority of the work is done.

G43_parts_2017-Jul-26_09-18-23PM-000_CustomizedView20191270454

I am hoping to have an opening receiver. Although it’ll have no function, it’s one of those touches that is nice to have.

G43_parts_2017-Jul-26_09-17-25PM-000_CustomizedView1136747149

G43_parts_2017-Jul-26_09-16-48PM-000_CustomizedView14882526777

 

More of this build coming soon!

 

If you would like to find out some of the history of this rifle, you can see my long-ago written intro to the G43 here.

 

If you enjoyed this article, join us over on Facebook and check out our Etsy store. If you have an idea for a custom build of your own get in touch on enquiries.vintageairsoft@gmail.com.